diamond buying guidelines
Here are some diamond buying guidelines to keep in mind when designing a wedding or engagement ring.
- Make sure that you are buying from a jeweller that is a member of the Jewellers Association of Australia. This is a regulating body that binds all its members to moral selling regulations.
- Ask as many questions — a reputable jeweller will actually spend time answering all your queries and help you find the diamond that is a perfect fit to both your standards and price range.
- Explicitly ask if the diamond has been treated. If it has, what are the effects of the treatment on the diamond?
- Examine the diamond under good lighting conditions.
- Ask for a grading certificate from an independent laboratory GIA (Gemological Institute of America). If you’re looking to purchase a 0.5 carat diamond or more.
- Upon paying a deposit, request a detailed receipt enumerating the characteristics of the diamond and any linked piece of jewellery.